Memory techniques in competitive contexts

I have been using memory techniques for a couple of years, but I would like to improve myself to become an IMM … can you recommend an approach suitable for the competitive context to improve my skills? what are the parameters I should monitor, and how should I do it? I know these are wide-ranging questions, but I hope this post is not only useful to me, but that it can open interesting discussions for all interested athletes or for those who have already had competitive experiences … I have carefully studied all the videos of Johnny Briones , but now that I have an opportunity to have direct contact with all the fans of the sector I can only take advantage of it … thanks for sharing so much of your knowledge Johnny, your passion has helped me not to give up with mnemonics! I hope that this post will “shine”… forgive my bad English

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words!

Let me know if I am wrong but the qualifications for IMM is 1000 digits in one hour, 10 decks in one hour, and memorize a deck under 2 minutes. Is this right? Here is what I recommend:

1. Know your memory systems. You need to be able to see a number or card and instantly see your image. If it takes you awhile to think of your images, then you can’t memorize fast. Train your images everyday. Get numbers and cards then just run through your images. For example: If I have a PAO, I would get a shuffled deck then create my PAO images but I would see how fast I can create. You are not memorizing the deck of cards because you are focus on image creation speed.

2. Have a lot of memory palaces. The hour events of numbers and cards takes a lot of palaces to practice so you need to have a stockpile of palaces to keep training. Usually when people use a palace, the ghost images of the past event stays around so you can’t really use the same palace right away. You would use other palaces you have until the images in the old palace disappear. Also, you want to know your palaces perfectly so you would run through them daily to make sure they are fresh in your mind and you know all the locations.

3. For the longer events, you want to build up your mental stamina. If you just jump in to hour cards or numbers, you will get burnt out really fast since it takes a of focus. Start out with 2 decks and see how fast you can do it. Then move up to 3 and so on. At least once a week, you should try doing the events for an hour. This helps you get a feel for the event and how you can plan reviews and such.

4. For the speeds card event, you want to push yourself to go faster than you can actually go. If you are using real cards, have a time with 10 seconds less than you are used to. You might not finish the deck or go through all the cards without picturing them. Eventually your mind will catch up with the speed you are going. If you are using software, you can give yourself a specific amount of seconds to look at each card before it switches. Decrease the time slightly as you get better to keep pushing yourself.

5. You should train to get more! Don’t aim exactly for 1000 digits or 10 decks of cards because if you miss a number or card, then you automatically don’t make it since you have to be perfect. You will see what kind of scores you can get while you train. You will know which scores are pushing it and you are less confident on. If you can get around 1500 digits in an hour with some misses sometimes, you might go for a score of 1200 during the actual competition. You will need to plan this out for sure!

I think this is all I have for now. I hope it helps and if I think of other things, I will share them too!

1 Like

yes, these are the criteria used to determine your abilities as an imm … thanks for the advice johnny, i will keep you updated on any developments … good luck!

You are welcome! I would love to hear about your progress. You can do it!!